Sidebar menus have been used as a directory for Related Pages to a Service offering, Navigation items to a specific service or topic and even just as Links the visitor may be interested in. Sidebar menus are extremely useful and allow users to control what links are added to a page as new content is created and if old content is obsolete.
Does your website have a sidebar menu, but you're not exactly sure how to add navigation items to it or how to add it to a new page? This how to guide will take you step by step on how to create the menu item for the sidebar menu and how to add the sidebar menu to your page.
First things first, you'll need to sign into the back-end of Virteom CMS. Go to www.yourwebsite.com/virteom and type in your username and password.
Now that you're logged in, you'll need to access your Navigation:
1. From the Black Navigation bar at the topic of your screen click on Navigation.
2. You'll be taken to a screen that contains all the pages on your website. From here, you'll want to create a directory. A directory is essentially a folder of pages.
To create a new directory in your Navigation:
1. Click on the 'Add Menu' button at the top of your Site Map.
2. A screen will popup prompting you to enter the Menu Name. Your menu name will be for internal use, if your sidebar menu will be used to display your services then it may be a good idea to name the menu Services. If your sidebar menu will be used for links that are relative to a specific persona, you can name the menu that.
3. Insert After this is where your menu will appear in the sitemap. So while your scrolling up and down where will this menu appear?
4. Click 'Save' to save the new directory you've created.
Now is the time that you'll add the items to the Directory that will appear in your sidebar menu. If you have an existing submenu on your site, but need to add another service or delete one follow these instructions as well:
If you need to add new pages completely to your website follow along with this how to guide. Just be sure to add it to the correct directory.
If the pages already exist within your sitemap then you'll want to create links to those pages in your directory.
To add links to your directory:
1. Click the '+' button next to the directory item.
2. A new window will popup on your screen. From the bubbles you'll want to choose Link.
3. Page Title You are required to enter the Page Title into this box. What it is looking for is the path of your URL - this is what directs the user to the page.
For example, if you want to add the About Us page to the directory, the URL to your page is more than likely: www.yourwebsite.com/about-us. From this example, in the Page Title box you'll want to enter /about-us
4. Click 'Save' to save the link you've added.
If you no longer need a menu item to appear in your side menu you can do one of two things:
1. If you want to delete the page completely from your website: Click the 'X' next to that menu item under your directory. You'll be prompted by another window confifrming you want to delete the screen.
2. If you would like to remove the item from your submenu, but simply hide it from visitors to your website follow this how to guide on hidden pages and moving pages back when you're ready.
Now that you've got the menu created with the items you would like to appear in your sidebar menu, it's time to add it to a page. First, we'll need to access the page you would like the menu to display on.
1. Since we're already in the Navigation, we'll just need to scroll to that area. Is it your Services Page? Is it a specific user persona page? Locate it in your sitemap and click the 'Edit' button next to the menu item.
2. Once you're on the desired page you'd like for the sidebar menu to appear on click on Editor from the top black navigation bar.
3. Click on the black pullout navigation on the Left side.
4. The pullout navigation will show you another area of navigation items. Our focus for adding a sidebar menu will be, Page Information.
5. Once you've clicked on Page Information and the window expands down you'll see the different information that is associated with your Page Information. Scroll down until you see Sidebar Menu. Once you click the dropdown you should see all the menus that are listed in your sitemap. Look for the directory we just created in the previous steps and choose it from the menu.
6. Click 'Save' to save the changes you've made.
In order to see the sidebar menu appear click 'Refresh' on your browser.
Now that you've added the sidebar menu to one page, you'll need to go to each page you want this menu to appear on. It's important to note that sidebar menus are wired up to specific page layouts. Make sure you have the correct page layout chosen so that your sidebar menu will appear.
Don't have the sidebar menu feature on your Virteom powered website? Want one? Contact us today and let us know! We'll have one of our developers implement this onto your site so you can start created sidebarmenus in no time!
As always, if you have any questions - feel free to send an email to our helpdesk system.