Search engine optimization (SEO) is an important piece to your website. Generating traffic from organic searches to your website is a key part of your online business. The time and effort you put towards your websites SEO can mean all the difference. That's why adding things like browser titles, meta descriptions and meta tags for every page on your site is important. Adding these behind the scenes SEO tactics, you can improve your search appearance.
In Virteom CMS, we make it easy to add things like meta description, meta tags and browser titles in. Follow along with this how to learn how to add this SEO information on all the pages of your website.
First things first, you'll need to log-in to the back end of your website. Once you have logged in, you should see a black navigation bar at the top of your screen.
Once you navigate to the page you'd like to edit the browser title, meta description or meta keywords for - you'll need to go in edit mode.
1. In the top taskbar, click on 'Editor'
As you can see (below), in the tab on my browser it is displaying the website's URL instead of saying the name of the page "Website Design | Virteom"
To edit your browser title:
2. Click on the black sidebar menu
Now that the sidebar menu is pulled out, click on 'Page Information' at the top to edit your browser title.
In the Page Information tab, you'll want to update the Browser Title. What is a browser title? It is the wording you see at the very top of your screen to describe the page.
1. In the Browser Title box, type in what you would like to see displayed at the top of the Tab. The optimal format is Primary Keyword - Secondary Keyword | Brand Name .... For example: Website Designs | Virteom
The optimal length for your Browser Title: is 50-60 characters.
2. Click SAVE to save your changes.
In order to see this change reflected in your browser, click the refresh button.
Now that your page title reflects what the page is about, you're ready to move on to meta description and meta keywords. These options can also be found in the black pull-out bar under 'Meta Data'
1. A meta description is a 160 character snippet that summarizes a page's content. Meta descriptions are used in search results when a word or phrase is contained in the description. Start typing your meta description in the box for meta description.
2. Meta Keywords are a type of tag that appears in the HTML code of your web page to tell a search engine what the topic of the page is. As a general rule: don't use more than 10 meta keywords per page. Things to include: common misspellings of the page's topic, long-tail keywords and real search terms users will use to land on your page.
3. Now that you have your description and keywords entered, click the 'Save' button
Now that you've tackled the 'behind the scenes' ways to improve your SEO, focus your attention to on-page content. Check out our blog on why you should be spending time on your SEO or our 12 tips to becoming search engine optimized.
Still need assistance changing or generating your meta descriptions, keywords or browser titles? Reach out to the Virteom team through tickets.